Horticap in conjunction with Weeton Show present:Hanging basket making demonstration
Horticap will show you how to create your own beautiful display tricks of the trade for maximum effect! We will also have a gardeners question time – bring your gardening conundrums for our panel of experts.
Thursday 19th May 7.00 for 7.30pm at Almscliffe Village Hall, Huby, LS17 0EG
Tickets £5.00 (includes tea/coffee & biscuits. Available on the door or on the tickets/events page of our website www.weetonshow.co.uk
In aid of our local charity Horticap
Weeton and District Agricultural and Horticultural Society, better known as Weeton Show, was established immediately after World War II. Early Membership Cards showed the “Objects of the Society" to be:
• to encourage the efficient cultivation of the soil by farmers, gardeners and all flower lovers
• to organize an annual competition and the award of prizes for the exhibition of farm crops, garden flowers, vegetables, cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, domestic crafts, home pets, etc
• to hold an annual Show of Exhibits for providing a social event for all interested residents and visitors.
Since this illustrious start when the Earl of Harewood, two knights and most of the local gentry were Vice Presidents (aka Members), Weeton Show has grown to become a well loved local community event. It has taken place every year since 1945 except in 2001, when the Foot & Mouth epidemic caused cancellation of the show and in 2012 when rain stopped play.
We no longer hold competitions for the "Best Cottage Garden" or have "musical cars" in the main ring but we hope we offer something for all ages to enjoy. Take a look at this year's schedule to see what classes you would like to enter or just come along to enjoy the Show! We hope to see you on Sunday 26th July 2015.
We are delighted that 2014 was one of our best attended in recent years - allowing us to not only invest in an even better show for 2015, but also provide substantial support to important local charities. At our AGM in November, we agreed to donate £1,500 to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and make a significant financial pledge to renovation works at Almscliffe Hall.
You may remember one of the changes we made last year was to create the opportunity to become a Member of the Show. For £30 you get priority access to the show and know you are making a valuable contribution to a great local tradition. Surely the perfect Christmas present for the local friend or relative who is hard to buy for! For full details see our website.
And finally… do look ahead to our key dates for next year:
• Our annual Dinner Dance at Almscliffe Hall will take place on Saturday 14th March. A great evening of food, entertainment and dancing. Start organising your tables now! All welcome. We will have full details in the next Parish News and on our website.
• Show weekend is all set for 24 - 26 July 2015, with the traditional Hog Roast on Friday night and of course the main event on Sunday.
A big thank you to everyone who has supported the show during 2014 .
Weeton Show - Sunday 28th July 2019 - Gates open 8.00am
- Adults £8
- Concessions £4
- Members £30
Main Ring Entertainment
(Starts at Circa 12.30pm - Horse and Pony Classes, including Showjumping, continue in adjacent rings)
- Rougemont Chase
- Kirkbourne Spaniels
- Gundog Scurry
- Vintage Tractors
- Badsworth and Bramham Hunt
- Mounted and Non Mounted Fancy Dress
- Children’s Races
- Vintage Steam Engines
- Heavy Horse Championship Parade
- Carriage Driving
- Airedale Beagles
- Wharfedale Terriers
- Famous Weeton Dog Race
- Live Craft Displays
- Buffet and Bar Tent
- Guiseley Silver Band
- Dog Show
- Cookery, Handicraft and Horticultural Competition Classes
- Jazz Band
- Punch & Judy
- Children’s Rides
* 50 Quality Trade Stands *
* Free Car Park *
* Licensed Bar And Buffet *
We look forward to seeing you on the 29th July - Gates open 8.00am
For more information check the Website or ring 01423 733 404.